Sunday, January 19, 2020

Setting Aims: Art Practice Development

Setting aims/goals/deadlines is useful for everyone and there are what seems like an infinite amount of different strategies to help us reach them (I should know, I spend a lot of my time encouraging students to set them). I think this tool set is often overlooked and neglected - certainly by me, anyway. when in education it was so easy to make time to stick to as it was an expectation, however since leaving education this is the first time I have decided to set some goals for myself and my artistic practice.

I decided to do this as I wanted to see if it would help me achieve the aim, would having them written down motivate me - or simply remind me what it is I am suppose to be doing? I guess only time will tell.

SMART action plans (Doran, 1981) are widely peddled and while I see their value and use them with students often, as they allow us to really break things down, I have streamlined my aims and also added personal refection on why it is I am doing/planning on doing these things - back to the motivation. other than being specific, the most useful part of SMART is being accountable to a deadline, a time restraint. again this is something that feels simpler when in education, they give you a deadline. In the remit of being a practising artist, juggling a portfolio career, this seems harder as the deadlines become arbitrary. however it is shown that by setting realistic milestones you are more likely to be able to chart your progress and stay motivated (Cottrell, 2010), so I have given this ago. While I have called them deadline they are really more review dates as this development will be ongoing. 

#1

Aim:
I would like to develop my digital skills, this would help me to significantly develop my practice. Currently I only use basic digital software, however I feel that by developing in this area my practice will move forward. 

Action:
To achieve this, I would undertake a Photoshop course and invest in relevant software.

Outcome:
Once I gain these skills I hope to create and develop body of digital works which are of a higher quality. I have worked digitally for several years; however, I rarely exhibit these works as I am not pleased with the end aesthetic of these works. I would like to explore projection of these digital images into sites as a means of putting text into different sites.

Deadline:
By June 2020 I would like to have completed a digital-based course to give me the basic knowledge and understanding of what it is I am trying to develop. 

#2

Aim:
Going forward I plan to develop my work with The Road Sign Collection. With these I want to develop more site-specific installations to take place in and around Colchester. 

Action:
To achieve this i will explore through praxis the best materials to use and the scale in which to work with. Experimentation will also take place regarding the most suitable sites for installation; gallery space, public spaces. As the relationship between text and site is paramount to my practice, I want to explore how putting each sign in several different sites effects the reading of the sign.

Outcome:
A body of work will be created and showcased in a number of locations. These will be documented with video and photos.

Deadline:
There is an opportunity that I want to apply to which would allow me to display work in a public setting in March, so that is a good external deadline to aim for. I would also like to try to install and document art in public places at least once a month.

Regarding gallery space my next opportunity will be in the Secret Art Sale taking place at the end of February, which I have already donated to and then following that the Colchester Art Society Summer Exhibitions, which will be in June. 

#3

Aim:
To create a book-based outcome for The Road Sign Collection, which allows for audience participation in some way. 

Action:
I need to achieve, or at least part achieve aim #1 and #2 before I can fully invest in this and so this is a much more longer term goal. 

Outcome:
Existing and new road signs will be captured and digitally rendered. These will be sorted in some way; either into series or when they where captured, or possibly types of sign. They will be rendered in continuous line drawing. 

Deadline:
By July 2020 I would like to have re-drawn The Road Sign Collection (existing) with my newly acquired digital skills, to increase the DPI of the images and thus improve the print quality. 

I intend to take some time over this to ensure that it is successful, I will reevaluate in August, so much of this idea comes down to the notion of collections and as such I need time to build those collections. 

*I will confess that I did not decided to write these aims completely independent, aim #1 has been taken and edited from my success application to the Firstsite Collectors Group Bursary Application. As such this aim will need to be met, as there are now external expectations as well as my own regarding it. However, in writing this aim the other followed.


References

Cottrell, S. (2010) Skills for success: personal development and employability. 2nd edn. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan. (Palgrave Study Skills). 

Doran, G. T. (1981) There's a S.M.A.R.T. way to write management's goals and objectivesManagement Review70 (11): 35–36.


No comments:

Post a Comment