Tuesday, October 22, 2019

Welcome


In this blog I will be exploring both my art practice and teaching philosophy, with a view to examine how the two co-exist.

A synopsis of my art practice:

My art practice explores the use of text and site. I often use found text within my work and will draw upon the texts original meaning to guide my practice. The use of our shared public language is essential to the works success.

Within my practice I create site specific installations and work with the concept of text/context to create works which resonate with the site. One of the aims of my art practice is to create situations in which dialectical relationships can take place between; the art and the audience/the art and the site.

My practice take a DIY approach and I strive to use materials that are inexpensive; such as electrical tape and ready mixed paint and processes which are easily accessible.




My teaching background:

I am currently teaching unaccredited art courses within an Adult Community Learning setting. Within this role I plan and deliver short art courses, the themes of these include, ‘Exploring Drawing and Illustration’.

As well as this I work part-time as a Study Skills and PASS (peer assisted student success) Adviser in a Higher Educational setting. Within this role I plan and deliver sessions, conduct 1-2-1 tutorials and facilitate PASS Leader Training. Sessions range from presentation skills to leaflet design.

I am also currently running a Creative Practitioner Support Programme at SPACE Colchester, 37 Queen Street. Each month will see two artist feedback sessions open to all creatives; whether they are still studying, graduated, emerging or re-emerging. Offering opportunities for peer-to-peer feedback on work-in-progress.

Previously I have worked within an FE setting teaching Art and Design.