Sunday, September 11, 2022

Jelly Print - Part Three

I felt that I should not let the small square dictate my art practice, and in a jigsaw kind of way am working on bringing longer text to my jelly print collection. 

I knew that if I really wanted to bring text from my research into the medium - which I have been doing over the past two years of my Ph.D. I needed space for more words.



I found working like this to be many things and offer many options. Firstly it was time-consuming. I could not use old art, and studio scrapes, I needed to create bespoke templates of the research text on paper cut to size to fit the jelly print plate.

This required thinking about how large the final outcome would be, here you can see I have decided to go create the final outcome as two wide, as this fitted neatly onto an A3 sheet.

The next thing it offered was two different kinds of print; positive and negative. The first print came from placing the stencil on the plate, then placing the A3 sheet on top and pressing down to transfer the ink. The second print came from then removing the stencil and placing the A3 sheet on and pressing down.

Visually the two outcomes are very different and I found could be mixed and matched - allowing me to create two outcomes at the same time - saving me from wasting ink and stencils. 


The placement was difficult, made harder by the A3 paper - it was much easier when I was working with smaller squares the same size as the plate.

Overall, this is time-consuming and I may or may not come back to it. But it is good to know that I can use the jelly plate to create later outcomes.

No comments:

Post a Comment