Sunday, October 23, 2022

Playing with lasers - Part 1

I always enjoy trying new things when it comes to my art practice and new ways to make new text. I had the opportunity to play with a laser cutter and new text ensued.

The process was very different from anything I'd done before, it was all very hands-off - I like to be hands-on - I have a DIY art practice after all. The laser cutter required an Illustrator file prepared in advance and then for materials to be placed and buttons to be pressed. The process was slow and even slower the thicker the material got. And loud too. But it was almost like magic, just very slow magic.


I tested my font, ACComplete4 on MDF wood 3mm and 6mm, and 3mm acrylic. My first thoughts were that this was very much like a puzzle, my second was that I enjoyed the smell of the burnt wood.


Once I had - the laser had - cut the acrylic, I knew right away that I preferred the wood. It felt like I'd been able to do more with the wooden letters. I feel like the acrylic letters have to be used as they are. There is scope for some light work perhaps. But these thoughts are currently unprocessed. 


The first lesson that I learned was that if I am just cutting letters out to use, and not requiring the offcuts, then I need to bunch the letters up more tightly. However, I do like the idea of using the offcuts as the art. I just need to find the right words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment