Thursday, November 28, 2019

Post-it Note Appreciation

If I could only use one resource within my teaching, it would be post-it notes. In short, I love them. Below I expand how I use them and why I could not be without them.

For Planning

My use of this versatile resources starts in the planning stages. I will use them to organise my thoughts for a session by writing on each something that needs to be covered; learning objectives, connect activity, recap*. Once I have writing down everything, I think I need to cover I will place these on a large sheet of paper in the correct order.

*Side note, at this stage the post-it notes are as vague as just the titles of activities, once I have consolidated a running order I will return and add detail.

At this point I will start to consider the session length and how long each point will take to cover. Then I can either fill in the gaps of time with added activities or see what can be omitted from the session if it is running long. It is the movability of the post-it notes that I love, it allows you to not get the planning right straight away, gives time to reflect on the flow of the session and clearly shows each activity as a block of time.



I have used this method when planning a two-day training programme, totalling 14-hours of delivery. By using this method, I found that I could much easier – in comparison to working straight onto a session plan for example (or anything digital for that matter) to visualise the time and work with it. I could move activities from day one and two without hassle and follow the flow of the training.

Using the post-it notes in conjunction with a large sheet of paper allowed me to expand on these ideas and assign them to parts of the session plan. When planning I follow the CSPAR Session plan: Connect, Share, Present, Apply, Review. CSPAR has clear links to the Kolb’s Experimental Leaning Cycle (1984), giving learners a change to experiences something new, reflect on that, conceptualise it and apply it to the world around them.



From the paper-based planning I am then able to create the expected session plans with little confusion.


For Group Work

I am a big advocate of using group work within session, as I believe that peer-learning is so important. However, I am yet to meet a group of learners who is thrilled to be set group work – particularly when it means splitting them up into new group formations. This technique lends itself well to random allocation (Hartley and Dawson, 2010), so it is not ideal if you are wanting to take advantage of MKO’s (Vygotsky, 1978). 

However, I have found that splitting learners up with the use of Post-it notes makes the task less odious on me as the teacher. Possibly due to the random aspect of it and learners not feeling singled out (?).  

I will use the same post-it notes in several ways in the same session to sort learners out into groups, they are as followed;

  1. By post-it note colour (this can be limiting if you do not have an array to pick from)
  1. By adding numbers to the post-it notes
  1. By adding letters to the post-it notes




I usually stop here due to small cohort sizes meaning that by this point most learners have worked with each other and due to length of session and wanting tasks set to be meaningful, not rushing through. However, you can expand this further by adding different symbols or words.

By using this technique and implementing group work I am able to embed wider skills into the session including developing their communication skills (Hartley and Dawson, 2010).


For Peer Feedback


Within my Exploring Drawing and Illustration course I allow for time at the end of activities for learners to clear feedback on each other’s work, on post-it notes. They are encouraged to write two points; something positive and something to work on, allowing for reflection and development to take place (Sackstein, 2017). Due to the nature of the course being short and unaccredited the focus is primarily on the positive. With the aim being to encourage learners and build confidence.



Learners have some control over what they receive feedback on, by leaving their sketchbooks open on a certain page.  They are also allowed to leave their feedback anonymously, creating a feeling of a safe peer assessment setting (Rotsaert, Panadero and Schellens, 2017).

From my perspective the most important thing with this type of activity is that it is carried out with respect and that it encourages conversation and sharing of ideas.

Regarding the subject matter, it is also a very effective way of showing the learners that each of them has their own style of drawing and illustration and that, that is OK. 

References

Hartley, P. and Dawson, M. (2010) Success in groupwork. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan. (Pocket study skills).

Kolb, D. A. (1984). Experiential learning: Experience as the source of learning and development (Vol. 1). Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice-Hall.

Rotsaert, T., Panadero, E. and Schellens, T. (2017) Anonymity as an instructional scaffold in peer assessment: its effects on peer feedback quality and evolution in students’ perceptions about peer assessment skills. European Journal of Psychology of Education. January 2018, Volume 33, Issue 1.

Sackstein, S. (2017) Peer Feedback in the Classroom: Empowering Students to Be the Experts. ASCD.

Vygotsky, L. S. (1978). Mind in society: The development of higher psychological processes. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.

No comments:

Post a Comment