Sunday, February 28, 2021

WE ARE THE MINORIES - Signage

Plans

The signage for We Are The Minories is where I started when tackling this project. Working with images of the site, the specific font and colours in an image previously used by We Are The Minories I set about creating something.

The image below was the finalised plan, a simple WE ARE THE MINORIES with letters (AR  T) highlighted in colours from the image. This was the easy part. The next stage required thoughts on what these letters would be made of and how they would be installed. Taking inspiration from my practice and also the temporary nature of the site I wanted to use wooden letters.


Inspiration 

Light weight, DIY and simple. My wooden letters inspired my choice to use wood for this project.



Learning curve

Given that my art practice is largely about the temporary, creating something that needs to be in one place for any amount of time is challenging. You have to consider the longevity of the outcome (no something I usually do!). The learning curve for this installation came in the shape of having to create weather proof lettering.

My previous wooden letters would not last all that long outside...this is where the learning started. 

Making the Signs 


Painting the Signs


Installation


Final Outcome




No comments:

Post a Comment