Sunday, March 7, 2021

Unfamiliars: Tales for the Fireside 2

Putting together my contribution for the Unfamiliars: Tales for the Fireside 2 zine started by considering the title, the first thing that came to mind for me was the first line of many fairy tales, 'once upon a time'. The use of these phases would draw upon shared public language and resonate with others familiar with fairy tales. 

An image of a note book
Once upon a time...

From taking this initial start point I then explored how to expand this. I often work with automatic writing due to its nonsensical outcomes. I employed my smartphone here, to create digital automatic texts which followed on from the phases, 'once upon a time'. 

To create these outcomes I entered the phase and then selected the predicted text, this adds a personal element to the outcome as the phone draws on my most used language. I wanted to move away from these outcomes - mostly as it turns out I am not that exciting and the outcome was not as playful as I had hoped!

Digital Automatic Writing


The second exploration on the start phrase was to look at synonyms for the words, finding words that mean the same thing as each word component. This exploration is the one I decided to develop, it allowed me to start breaking the language and moving it away from the shared public language of the initial phase and move towards something more Dada. The change is slight but enough to distort the reading a little. 

Synonyms


Once each of the words in the phrase had been replaced I start to put them together using my ACcomplte4 plaster letters. The maternity of the final outcome is not particularly important, it is just the medium I am currently interested in working in.

Final Outcome

See the final copy in print, available to buy at Tales for the fireside // Hand Embellished Limited Magazine | Etsy 


No comments:

Post a Comment