Sunday, July 24, 2022

A different kind of FINE - part two - CAS Online Summer Exhibition

 The CAS online summer exhibition is still available to view: Online Exhibition | Colchester Art Society


To add a sense of weight to the letters I wanted to disguise the modroc, by covering the letters in a thin coat of plaster. This hid the tell-tale modroc texture and gave an overall new texture. The intention is that they look like they might be solid plaster letters - rather than cardboard!



The difference is clear to see and I am looking forward to developing this technique further in larger-scale outcomes. I am yet to see how stable this top coat of plaster is. I do not want it to crack or reveal the modroc underneither. To try and avoid this, the plaster coat was added to the still wet modroc. 



It became a rather relaxing process. Initially I thought that I would perhaps dip or use my hands the add the plaster. But found that a small brush and small amounts of plater worked best. This allowed me to just add the plaster where the texture of the modroc was visible - keeping the letter nice and light!



The end outcome



No comments:

Post a Comment