Sunday, July 3, 2022

to the sea - A journey - Part One

My text-based artwork often draws on language that has come to me automatically, however, sometimes I use found text. The words 'to the sea' come to in this way. I'm sure the words come from many places but for me, they come from a Razorlight song. They are three words that always get stuck in my head after hearing it place. I wanted to do something with them, in the hope that they would stop going around in my head, on repeat. 

Tiny Letters: Positive Space v's Negative Space

The first stop was to play with pre-existing materials, tiny letters made from both air dry clay and plaster. I enjoyed playing around with these and picking which letters from my large collection to use. I went for the ones that would stand up on their own. 


This then inspired some more air dry clay work, this time wanting to capture the negative space. I used my font stencil and a craft knife to cut out the letters and then left them to dry.





No comments:

Post a Comment